The Jeep on the other hand looked like this:
This Jeep had MANY items missing or improperly installed when it was first “restored”. John found that the oil filter only had one line installed, we all found that things like dash and marker lights were not wired in, John and Bobby found various areas missing major mounting bolts. The missing bolts and welds probably contributed to the amount of damage and frame twisting in the accident.
As delivery day loomed over us the gang was working hard.
“Kill me” I thought…. Then followed a couple hours of John, Mike and I checking continuity, checking spark and voltage and calling my father who is a retired engineer. Finally I believe checking the distributor condensor’s ground did the trick. Old Kilroy fired up and purred. Hurray!!!
The following morning I awoke early, Mike came by, and we finished the job. Stencils were painted on, misc. items were installed, and then we went for a test ride. On the test ride I began to worry because the oil pressure meter was reading NOTHING!!! When we took a look in the engine compartment we found that lo and behold the former idiotboy who restored this Jeep had not installed an oil pressure line. Reason 193 at this point to find that man and take away his tools.
Eventually we were ready for the road. By 3:00 we were in Pasadena, Maryland and delivering the Jeep. Here is a photo of Kilroy at the “scene of the crime”.